Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Q and A

Questions to and answers from Barry Whitehead about his rubber suspension.

1/ How did you design the Quadrants, are they a 1 to 1 relationship or is there some leverage?
I just made them to fit in the car, and then put enough layers of rubber to give me the wheel rate I wanted. Very suck it and see !!

2/ Do you take the weight off the wheels when the car is not in use?
Not normally, because when I do the rubbers set differently for a while and the adjusters have to be altered from time to time.
3/ Where did you buy the webbing and how long has it been on the car?
I contacted Pirelli and got it from them. Some of the rubbers have been in use for 5 or more years: Tho' they do stiffen up with time. It is worth checking the wheel rates from time to time

4/ Are the webbing mounts/yokes an item off the shelf or did you make them? I make everything myself, for better or for worse.

5/ Do you really need the Sh/Abs or is it just belt and braces? As I compete, it is always best to have the ability to alter the handling with the various adjustments, Sh.Abs., Anti-Roll bars., and tyre pressures.

6/ What type of motor is it in the Pic, looks like a big Japanese bike motor? Suzuki GSXR1100WP; I am now fitting a GSXR1000K8.

7/ How much does each corner weigh on your car (unsprung)? A sore point; too heavy. I can't remember exactly, but the bathroom scales give me an all up weight of about 860lb, with about 18-13 split: That does not give me unsprung, I cannot remember that. It is all written down somewhere, but at the moment I cannot find it.

No comments: